"Communication works for those who work at it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------



Sunday, January 24, 2010

Useful ? mm..

The whole idea of giving presentation, public speaking have always sound pretty easy to me, or at least till the very day I have to do my very first presentation in class. I felt this super shitty feeling, anxiety, and had butterflies in my stomach. My mind just went blank. I went home thinking about what had just happened. It is only at that point of time, that I realise there is so much about learning how to talk in front of a crowd. Taking ES2007S will firstly allow me to learn about the basic skills in communication, understanding the different ways to communicate (verbal and non-verbal communication). The numerous opportunities to speak in front of the class will also help me to gain much confidence. After all, practice makes perfect. The chance to work on projects and conduct a class are just many of the other interesting things I will get to do, unlike all the typical science modules I had been taking, allowing me to learn about working with people from different background.

I always thought I know myself best and knows what I want in life, however, some time ago, when everyone starts asking me what I intend to do after graduation, and all I could reply is, “ erm anything “ . This trigger me to start reflecting on what I really wanted to do, what I enjoy doing. Taking ES2007S will not just help me to know more about myself, it also provides me with the chance to research on the different jobs available, and at the same time, force me to prepare my resume. At least, according to the schedule, those are topics that will be covered in this module and I really hope I can learn those skills during the cause of this module. Cheers!

xoxo,
Student A

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andy,

    I really like the way you started your blog post, sharing with us your first not-very-exciting presentation experience, and how that incident spurred you to sign up for this module. You then went on to talk about the components covered, before discussing how these will benefit you - wonderful!

    With your good writing skills, I know you will make a very good blogging buddy to one of your classmates in class.

    Looking forward to your next blog post!

    Ms. Lim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Andy,

    I believe everyone has their very own horror experience in presenting a topic or project in front of an audience. And it is great to know that you realize the importance of this communication skill and thus decide to improve on it.

    I also have my share of bad experience in front of an audience. I used to think that if I know the content of what I am going to present, speaking in front of many people shouldn't be a problem. And I was quite wrong! My mind went blank when I was involved in my secondary school's interclass debate team. Fortunately, the cue cards saved my life!

    I think this module is a very good platform for us to improve on our presentation skills.

    All the best!

    Wei Li

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments.

    To Ms Lim: I am glad you like it, as I wasn’t sure if this was the way to write. Thank god. Hope you enjoyed reading my other posts as well. Thanks for reading.

    To Wei Li: I guessed by now, we have all understood a lot about communication skills and have improved!

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete