"Communication works for those who work at it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------



Sunday, April 11, 2010

5 minutes of hell

After all those practices, it’s time for the real thing. As usual, I felt nervous. Counting down the slides, waiting for the dead sentence, “now I would like to invite my group-mate Andy up …” Omg, it’s my turn. However, in a flash, the approximate 5 minutes just fly past. I just felt myself saying blah blah blah and then it’s over. All those talking felt like seconds.

Wells, after the whole presentation, as usual, mixed feelings. I remembered telling myself, before and during, the presentation to slow down. Nevertheless, I tried but I still feel myself talking abit too fast. I remembered myself mispronouncing a few words too. The cue cards on my hands were just too tempting to look at. I feel myself having this urge to look at them every other second. Other than that, I guessed the delivery part was ok.

With regards to the preparations, I thought that our slides were decent, looks nice and simple. Straight to the point, not too wordy. We tried to think of a way of a memorable ending but there doesn’t seem to have any songs or a nice clip that’s related to conservation and communication. Hmm... So forget it,I guessed. We rehearsed about 4-5 times and every time, there seems to be something to change. But I felt all those rehearsals helps in getting me to know the whole presentation slides better.

I am just glad that there’s no glaring mistakes(I think, i hope) and that everything went by smoothly.

Thank god it’s all over!!!

xoxo,
Student A

P.S. Pls let me know my weakness and strength. After all i cant see/hear myself ! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,

    First of all, Well done on your presentation! I think all the groups did perform well on Thursday! And I think the effort we put in did pay off (:

    I personally felt that you had improve a lot from the oral presentation. You tone was more soothing (less forceful) and though you did make references to the cue cards, I feel that you still appeared much more prepared and familiar with the content compared to the peer teaching.

    I think one thing that could be improved is to use more animation in your slides. Not so much of fanciful animations, but like "appear" etc, so that you can direct the audience's attention to the point that you're talking about. I thought that the presentation was concluded a tad abruptly as well. Perhaps a cue-to-end could be included in future presentations (: Another thing is that I think you can take note more of your word usage and grammar. I personally have that struggle as well when I present, like I suddenly "lose" my grammar and I find myself having difficulty phrasing sentences. Perhaps you could rehearse your script with someone whom you know is better at English and get their feedback. I tried that and I think it helped me.

    Overall, great job! Hope my comments are constructive (:

    ~Jia Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate them as these are things that I will defiantly not be able to point out myself. I will take note of these points and work on my flaws.

    Thanks a lot !

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete